Rad Reading-February

This month I read Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart.

Imogen is a young women and a college dropout who lives in a hotel in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. She spends her days trying to make friends, tanning at the beach, and listening to K-pop. But it’s not Imogen who is staying in Cabo San Lucas making friends and listening to K-pop, it’s Jule, Imogens best friend pretending to be her. Imogen committed suicide and Jule decided to take over her identity. Before Imogen’s death she ran away from home to her mansion on Martha’s Vineyard she runs from her responsibilities and conflict. Her friends told her this wasn’t the way to solve problems or depression but Imogen didn’t care. Jule idolized Imogen she loved her like a sister and only wanted them to be together and happy. But soon Jule realizes that Imogen isn’t who everyone thinks she is.

This is a great book. You should read this book because of its surprising twist and complex ending. Jule is an easy character to like because of her kind gestures but she can be jealous from time to time. Imogen, on the other hand, is harder to understand because of her mood swings and confusing actions. Overall this book shows how much two people can react over the ‘other’s actions. It will surprise you what shocking situations Jule and Imogen get themselves stuck in!

My favorite character is Jule West-Williams because she is athletic and clever. One piece of evidence that proves she is clever is “Every place has rules. What you do when you come into a new place is, you figure them out.” This explains Jule is clever because she takes notice of her surroundings and adapts her behavior.

My favorite quote from this book is “Jule has become the kind of woman it would be a great mistake to underestimate.” This quote is meaningful to me because it is very inspirational. It shows how much Jule has evolved from being the lonely little girl that lost her parents and never recovered. It shows how she believed that she could become a better version of herself such as getting stronger and more independent. This is why this quote sticks out to me.